Salary: circa £40-£50k + benefits
Closing Date: Midnight Monday 3rd of June 2019
The University of Sussex is one of the leading research universities in the world, and one of the foremost employers in the South. With a new strategic framework 'Sussex 2025' in place they have ambitious objectives across the organisation. In recent years they have grown their student numbers, staff and infrastructure substantially, with a new and high performing finance and commercial function that continues to grow and evolve.
The University is now looking to recruit multiple roles in the next phase of their restructuring programme after the successful placement of key leadership roles early this year. The next and final phase of recruitment will involve the appointment of multiple finance business partners and a Management Accounting Services Manager whose job it will be to lead a team of circa 12 finance professionals providing support to the Finance Business Partnering team. These final additions to the new structure will enable the University to achieve its strategic priorities at a time of unprecedented change and challenge within the Higher Education sector.
The Finance Business Partners will be responsible for the following:
- Providing assurance regarding the financial performance, control and risk profile of all areas of responsibility (either a cluster of academic schools or professional service divisions);
- Formulation and delivery of objective and trusted advice to senior stakeholders, defining and delivering financial strategy in order to meet the financial and other objectives;
- Actively supporting an effective and robust financial control environment delivering VFM for the University in all areas of responsibility;
- Building and improving excellent financial management literacy and practice across the University;
- Diagnosing issues and scoping requirements through analysis and effective listening and questioning and assisting senior managers in developing substantive plans to address issues and provide oversight of delivery.
The Management Accounting Services Manager will be responsible for the following:
- Delivery of regular and ad hoc financial reporting, planning and analysis including budgets, forecasts, year-end information and third party returns in accordance with agreed service levels;
- The processing of management accounting transactions to meet agreed standards;
- Driving and demonstrating continuous improvement to ensure continued value for money of the service delivery model to meet changing stakeholder requirements and proactive identification of improvements in wider ways of working across Finance and the University;
- Actively ensuring an effective and robust financial control environment delivering VFM for the University in all areas of responsibility;
- Provision of accurate and timely user support within the Finance Service desk framework;
- Deputise for the Deputy Finance Director where required.
Sussex University is going through an exciting period of change and this is a rare and outstanding opportunity to be part of a new finance structure. The University offers an impressive package including generous pension scheme, excellent annual leave entitlement, competitive salary and access to University sporting and other facilities.
The University is always looking to offer continued learning and development opportunities to their staff and can offer an excellent study support package to enable the completion of professional finance qualifications by appropriate candidates. The posts are full time but requests for flexible working will be considered subject to business needs.
The campus at the University is a brilliant place to work and boasts some state-of-the-art facilities within a stone's throw of the vibrant city of Brighton. Please follow the following link to the Universities benefits summary:
Closing date for applications to both roles will be midnight Monday the 3rd of June 2019.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit:
- An up to date and relevant CV setting out your career history, with responsibilities and achievements;
- A personal statement, limited to no more than two sides of A4, describing your motivations for applying and how you meet the role specific requirements, paying close attention to the required experience for each role.
Please send your application to Jack Cole no later than Midnight Monday the 3rd of June 2019.
Application Closing Date
Midnight Monday 3rd of June 2019
4th - 7th of June 2019
Interviews & Shortlist with Forbes Hunt
w/c 10th of June 2019
First Interviews with The University of Sussex
w/c 24th of June 2019
Final Interviews with The University of Sussex
w/c 1st of July 2019